My wife and I and our newborn son moved into a 400 sq.ft. lakeside小屋1990年9月，我不知道经验会教我上半场关于进步，创新和家庭的令人惊讶的教训EN.ergyconsumption.
Old Cabin Shortfall
The cabin was stop-gap accommodation, necessary while I completed a 2500 sq.ft. home I was building nearby, and the only source of heat in the place was a kitchen woodstove that had to be fed every few hours around the clock. Even though outdoor temperatures rarely dipped below freezing during the 6 weeks we stayed there, the stove consumed about 1 1/2 wheelbarrow loads of dry, split firewood every day just to keep the tiny place barely warm enough for a baby.
The old小屋was well built for it’s time, though there’s only so much that good workmanship can accomplish. As I discovered first-hand, theEN.ergyperformance of any building is determined in largest measure by design and materials, and that’s where new homes and renovations can win the conservation game hands-down.
As astonishing as the new efficiency gains were to me then, the possibilities are even better today than they were more than a decade ago.
- Structural insulated panels (SIPs)
利用泡沫绝缘的价值是结构绝缘板（啜饮）最佳，并且EN.ergyperformance is one reason I chose them for my latest project.
- That’s a hard claim to believe for something made of the same material as a coffee cup, at least until you heft a piece of SIPs for yourself. Though not heavy, the combination of wood and foam creates an amazingly strong and rigid material.
- 啜饮通常来自厚度为4 1/2,6 1/2和8 1/4英寸的工厂，在4英尺宽的面板中。
Insulated Concrete Forms
- ICFs are a building option that combines rot-proof strength, high insulation values, and the possibility of terrific water resistance in one package.
- Many systems are on the market right now, though all work in a similar way.
- Another reason to choose ICFs becomes obvious on rocky building sites where foundation walls rest directly on bedrock. This makes them ideal for cottage projects. Instead of struggling to install a conventional wooden form on an irregular surface of stone, ICFs offer a unique advantage. Since the foam is easy to cut, it can be scribed and sawn to fit the contours of the bedrock.
- Even if you’re installing ICFs on a conventional footing, they go up quickly and easily. I’ve built the usual sorts of wooden concrete forms before, and ICFs are much easier and quicker to use.
While I’m still sure that we need to keep focused on the essentials and do all we can to live happily with less, I’ve also come to a renewed faith in the value of innovation and conservation technology. My experiences with that woodstove and a brand new baby helped point me in this direction.
As it turns out, sometimes old technologies and approaches are the most wasteful of all. With developments like SIPs and ICFs , we’re one step closer to seeing what a truly sustainable future looks like.
Want to cut your homeEN.ergy采用？在Casaguru查找本地自定义家庭建造者，以帮助您使用结构绝缘小组需求。所有这些都是许可的，被保险人和房主评定。